Valentine’s Day is upon us, so we’ve decided to compile a list of the cutest of the cute couples in classical music. Here’s our top ten:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/134471594?secret_token=s-1ITwJ” params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
10. Richard Wagner and Cosima Liszt
Not the nicest people, but he did write the wedding march, after all.
9. Kathleen and Matthew Karr
A local couple. He’s a bassoonist, she plays the flute.
8. Richard Strauss and Pauline de Ahna
The Strauss family, looking thrilled:
7. Edith and Dallas Tidwell
Another local couple, this time a clarinetist and a soprano.
6. Richard Bonynge and Joan Sutherland
The superstar couple of the opera world.
5. Samuel Barber and Gian Carlo Menotti
Two composers, Gian Carlo was also a librettist.
(photographs by Carl Van Vechten)
4. Wolfgang Amadeus and Constanze Mozart
He actually tried to marry her sister first, but all’s well that ends well. . .
3. Béla and Ditta Bartok
A slightly disturbing age difference, but he did write her a piano concerto.
2. Clara Wieck and Johannes Brahms
Be honest, could you resist that beard?
1. Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears
Excerpts from some of their letters: