End of Summer Listening Party!
Sunday, September 8, 2-4 pm
Bring the family out to Montessori School of Louisville and celebrate the first season of Classical 90.5 Summer Listening with us! We will have a bouncy castle, giveaways, ice cream, grab bags, live performances by the Concentus String Quartet and more. Admission is free. Montessori School of Louisville is located at 10263 Champion Farms Dr Louisville, KY 40241. Call 502.814.6500 or email email@example.com for more info.
The aim of WUOL’s Summer Listening is to get people excited about classical music, and listening to great music over the summer – in the same way that you might catch up on great books. Based on the popular summer reading initiatives, people of all ages can participate. Younger listeners will have a chance to respond to the music through poetry, drawing or other ways.
Classical 90.5 will broadcast each of these compositions on Mondays at 10am and 4pm, starting June 3rd and concluding August 26th. There will also be suggested recordings you may be able to check out from the Louisville Free Public Library, listen online through LFPL’s online Free Public Music Library, purchase online.
William Grant Still: Symphony No. 1 “Afro-American”
Bach: Cello Suite No. 1 in C major
Gershwin: An American in Paris
Mozart: Symphony No. 41 in C major “Jupiter”
Ravel: Mother Goose Suite
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major “Eroica”
Schubert: String Quartet No. 13 in A minor “Rosamunde”
Tchaikovsky: Variations on a Rococo Theme
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
Copland: Symphony No. 3
Brahms: Symphony No. 4
Handel: Concerto Grosso No. 1, Op. 6
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23
Dvorak: String Quartet No. 12
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 1
Haydn: Symphony No. 103 “Drumroll”
Debussy: La Mer
Elgar: Cello Concerto
Handel: Water Music
Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor “Moonlight”
Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4 “Italian”
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 6
Chopin: Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor
Amy Beach: Symphony in E minor “Gaelic”
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
For the super listener (extra opera credit!):
Verdi: La Traviata
Mozart: The Magic Flute
- Sign-up online (scroll down). It’s free and you’ll receive information about the music on the playlist, links to articles and stories and more! If you don’t sign-up you can still participate, just download the form and mail it in when you’re finished listening. You can sign up and participate anytime between June 3rd and August 26th.
- Listen on Mondays at 10am and 4pm from June 3rd to August 26th to hear all of the music for Summer Listening. If you miss a broadcast, don’t worry. The Louisville Free Public Music Library is a free service to library patrons, and you can hear all this music through the “WUOL Summer Listening” playlist. Ask a librarian if you need help. You can also find all this music for purchase at various retailers. We recommend Archivmusic.com.
- The minimum goals for listening depend on your age. For listeners under 18, choose titles that look interesting to you. You can listen to more than the minimum and there’s extra credit for listening to complete operas!
Ages 5-12: Listen to 10 of the selections (in their entirety).
Ages 13-18: Listen to 15 of the selections (in their entirety)
Ages 18+: Everything! (It’s not as difficult as it seems)
- Once you’ve listened to all the music, respond in the following ways:
Ages 5-12: Create a drawing, painting, or other work of art inspired by some of the music you enjoyed. Be creative! There are no rules, or right or wrong ways to do this.
Ages 13-18: You’re also welcome to create a work of art, but you may also want to write a poem, short story, or some other form of writing inspired by the music. Again, no right or wrong way to respond.
Ages 18+: Your choice! Or you can simply choose to listen.
- You can mail or email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) a PDF of the Summer Listening form, along with your art or writing. We’ll choose some of them to display on our webpage.
Summer Listening is supported by our listener members and Montessori School of Louisville